We work towards equity between people in our community and equity of access for all students to a quality education. Topics of focus in this area include Advocacy, Cultural Proficiency, Diversity, Community Empowerment, School Discipline, Professional Development/ Modules of Learning, and Equity in Action.
Young Men’s Alliance – Baird Middle School
CLEAR has been a supporter of the Young Men’s Alliance (YMA) at Baird Middle School, in Fresno, Calif. since 2011. The program began three years ago under the tutelage of Valerie Martinez, Principal of Baird Middle School and Ricardo Guevara, Instructor for the Young Men’s Alliance. The program was developed to address the behavioral and academic issues that many of our young men encounter. Through a leadership and character building curriculum, the YMA coordinators and teachers are able to show students that there are real and inspiring options when it comes to their future and success.
The YMA curriculum includes:
- Young Men’s Alliance class: meets daily with Instructor Ricardo Guevara
- One-on-one Mentoring: once a week
- Guest Speaker: once a week
- Teen Leadership curriculum (Flip Flippen): three days a week
- Other: field trips to universities, job sites, and other leadership building activities.
- Leadership Roles: Students take on leadership roles on campus, such as making daily announcements, coordinating activities with the Functional Skills class, running the snack bar, and planning events.